In 1936, Sor Dorotea L. Rubio, D.C. a native of Bogo, spurred by compassion and love for the poor, founded Beneficencia de la Sagrada Familia an institution to take care of the orphans and to give Catholic, Christian and Vincentian education to the many young and deserving girls of the town. Inspired by the fervor of her missionary sister, Doña Raquel Rubio viuda de Sanchez made available the building thus, came into the existence the “Escuela de la Sagrada Familia,” the forerunner of Holy Family Academy, and presently St. Louise de Marillac College of Bogo.
In the year 1938, complete elementary education duly recognized by the government was offered. In 1940, the school was renamed “Academia de la Sagrada Familia”, during which time, the first two years of high school were offered in an answer to the demand for further educational development of the youth. At the start of its operation there were only 23 students. When war broke out in 1941, the “academia” was closed and renamed so, till 1950- 1951, when it was reopened. The Archbishop of Cebu, Julio Cardinal Rosales, donated laboratory equipment and books for the library.
Doña Filomena Rubio, another sister of the foundress, furnished the building for complete secondary course, so that by 1953, the school turned out its first high school graduates in the name Sacred Family Academy Academy with government recognition #510 series of 1953.
From 1936 to 1956, the Holy Family Academy has been affording the people of Bogo and nearby places quality education in line with the vision – mission of the Education Ministry of the Daughters of Charity.
In school year 1998 – 1999, the Holy Family Academy was renamed St. Louise de Marillac College of Bogo and approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission. Government permit was granted by the Commission of Higher Education to open college courses in Bachelor of Secondary Education, Bachelor of Elementary Education, Bachelor in Business Administration and Associate in Computer Technology leading to Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and later Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management.
Simultaneously, the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority granted recognition to open short – term courses – Hotel and Restaurant Service Technology and Business Office Technology. The SLMCB Building I (administration academics facilities) was blessed and inaugurated on September 6, 1998.
In June 2013, the 3-storey building, with prayer room at the first floor was blessed. The building was in anticipation for the K to 12 Program.
SLMCB will remain steadfast as the voice and arm of the Catholic Church. It will continue to address life with the Vincentian Vision – Mission, core values and thrusts inculcated in its students, lay mission partners, parents, alumni and other stakeholders.